Wednesday, September 14, 2011

God’s Pizza

I rang the local supermarket manager today and I complained about a frozen pizza I’d just bought.

I really looked forwards to enjoying that pizza. I started the oven to get it to warm up to the required temperature as it said on the pizza packet; and then when this was achieved, I pulled out the pizza out of the packet. It was wrapped in that transparent cellophane stuff as usual … and that’s when I discovered that the pizza had no toppings!

Yes … the pizza had no toppings at all. No tomato sauce, no cheese, no lovely pepperoni sausage slices covered with herbs and all the other beautiful ingredients that I can clearly see in the picture on the card-board box. The pizza in my hand was completely devoid of any toppings whatsoever and bore no resemblance to the pizza depicted on the cardboard box. I was getting hotter than the oven with anger.

I told the supermarket manager that I was really upset about this. I’d come home expecting a great Italian meal, I’d set the table with my best cutlery and a good bottle of Italian wine, got the oven ready and hot … only to be disappointed with a pizza with no topping.

The manager apologized profusely on behalf of his Company and asked me to return the offending pizza to him in person and he’ll compensate me with a new pizza and a very generous voucher to be exchanged for anything from his shop.

Our telephone conversation lasted about five minutes or so, and it was only when I finished speaking to the manager and I put the phone down that I realized I was holding the pizza in my hand upside down!

How often do we complain to God when things go wrong in our lives when all along it was our doing which caused the problem in the first place?

Have you reason to complain about God’s pizza right now? Check first that you are not in the wrong and ask His forgiveness instead.


10 comments:

  1. Great way to illustrate your point Victor.. my daughter actually thought you were joking at first. Yes, there have been many of those sheepish moments in my life.. talk about putting your foot in your mouth. Thank God that He is always full of a fresh outpouring of Grace for us.

    Thanks and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been caught with my pizza upside down many times! It is always a humbling experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! Where do you come up with such things? You made a very good point and gave me a good laugh too!

    Maybe I am upside down right now. It wouldn't be the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone,

    Thanx for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! How often do we jump to conclusions?...I know I do. Thanks for sharing Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. Been guilty myself and learned some humbling lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done my friend. Well done.

    Using your analogy, I am for sure a pineapple upside down cake. (Do you have those across the pond?)

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Esther, Barbara, Colleen and Michael,

    Thank you for writing in. Glad you enjoyed my little contribution.

    Yes Michael, we do have upside-down pineapple cake. I also make it with peaches, especially tinned peaches.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I found another of your posts, Victor! How did I miss this great one? With that wonderful mental image of the upside down pizza, I won't forget the point of the story. Images that stick in our minds - wonderful way to remember things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue,

    Thanx for writing in. It's amazing how many people blame God for things which they have done wrong.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete