Monday, September 26, 2011

As The Sparrow Finds A Home

Psalm 84:2-5

How lovely your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!
My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the Lord.
My heart and flesh cry out for the living God.
As the sparrow finds a home and the swallow a nest to settle her young,
My home is by your altars, Lord of hosts, my king and my God!
Blessed are those who dwell in your house!
They never cease to praise you.

I thought of this Psalm as I sat on the grounds of the former Catholic school and convent where my mom now lives. Many years ago they turned it into senior apartments. The sparrows in the picture flock around the many full birdfeeders that the residents provide for them.  There is still a Catholic Church on the grounds where Mass is said every Saturday evening. These sparrows have found a home near the altar of the the Lord. 

I yearn and pine for the the courts of the Lord as well.  May I never cease to praise Him!

5 comments:

  1. This is so lovely. Sounds like your mother is living in a wonderful place:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite psalms. At every Mass we are in the courts of the Lord. I'm very happy your Mom has such a great place to live with access to the sacraments and the blessings of nature to enjoy. That's a great picture of the sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful psalm Mary. It must bring joy to your mom to be so near a Catholic Church in her home. Sparrows are such small creatures from God but so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    I love this psalm. May we be like your little sparrows and find our home near the altar of the Lord.

    God bless you and your Mom... hopefully you inherited her longevity gene :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary, the passion of the Psalmist always grabs my heart like a tight fist. This one is so beautiful! The sparrows reflect the peaceful spirit of God. Your mom must feel the peace hear too!

    God bless

    ReplyDelete