Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Rose in God's Image

This past weekend we drove 18 hours total to pay what will probably be a last visit with my mother-in-law.  Rose has had Alzheimer's disease for about 17 years.  She is reaching the end of the journey as she can no longer speak or even swallow well enough to maintain her weight.  Her mind has been gone or nearly gone for a long time.  We have heard many say and sometimes think ourselves that it is a shame to live with a healthy body and no mind.

The Gospel this weekend brought some clarity to me about Rose.  It was the Gospel about give to Caesar what is Caesar's.  Give to God what is God's.  And what is God's?  We are.  We are made in the image and likeness of God.  Each face reflects God's very face.  That is the test of love to see God's face in the face that can no longer respond or love or react.  Rose is valuable because she lives and has God's face.  Only God can choose the day and hour to call her home to Him.

Until that hour arrives, we are all given the task to love.  To learn what love is.  To see the very face of God in the least of His children.

8 comments:

  1. Mary, I'll remember to pray for you mother-in-law today when I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and for those who continue to visit, care, and love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    What a beautiful tribute to your mother-in-law. I will keep you and your family in my prayers during this difficult time. May God welcome Rose into his kingdom and may the perpetual light shine upon her.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your mother-in-law and your family; and you too.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post, Mary. Your post speaks beautifully about the great dignity of the human person. I have been praying for your mother-in-law and will continue to keep all of you in my prayers. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Yes I crochet the poncho, I love crocheting, I taught myself to crochet ,and knit.
    My favorite thing to crochet is socks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless your mother-in-law. I loved what Pope John Paul II wrote in Salvifici Doloris: that God allows suffering to release love in this world. The love you have for her is evident. May God gather her to Himself in peace and tranquility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great reminder. We are to see God's face in all humans. Humbled by your example.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary - prayers for your mother-in-law and your whole family.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete