Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cupcake Faith


When I was a little girl I remember eating only the frosting off of a cupcake. I thought that was the best part and really didn't care about the cake part. That was all well and good for my sweet tooth, but it didn't really fill me up.
The same could be said for the spiritual life; we often look for the sweet frosting of consolation. Consolations are wonderful when God gives them, but that feeling doesn't last. The saints as well as any spiritual director worth his or her salt will tell you not to rely and base your faith on feelings. We need to be emptied so that we can be filled with God's presence. This is what happens to us and for us in the Eucharist. Jesus makes Himself present on the altar through His ministerial priests, and we are invited to approach Him, receive Him and be filled with Him in Holy Communion.
I found the following reflection over at My Daily Eucharist. It speaks to this emptiness that we long to fill and what we should desire in filling it. Just like my childhood cupcake~faith isn't just about the frosting.

No one is on a constant spiritual "high." And many devout souls are seldom "high." God often serves the cake without the "frosting." But feeling isn't as important as filling–filling yourself with God's goodness, not yours.
At Communion time we are in the closest union with Jesus. "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me and I in him," the mutual union of "Communion" (John 6: 56). In this infilling with the presence of Christ, we have an occasion to fulfill the pleading of Paul in Ephesians 3:19, "that we may be filled to the measure of all fullness of God." It is only with this total infilling with Christ that we have security against contamination or recontamination with the forces of evil. Jesus tells us that after evicting the enemy, the house is "clean but empty" (Luke 11:25)–rather than "clean and full" with the fullness of Christ. This emptiness leaves it open to "seven devils worse than the first."
Pray to appreciate more fully the truth that "you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority" (Phil. 2:10), so as to experience "the fullness of him who fills everything in every way" (Eph. 1:23). This is the antidote to your "spiritual emptiness."
 
The Blessed Eucharist: Our Greatest Treasure
~Fr. Michael Muller, C.S.S.R

6 comments:

  1. I like the thought of "the mutual union of "Communion". Beautiful post and I too love the analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie and Daily Grace. This reflection gave so much for meditation and bringing us deeper into the Mystery of the Eucharist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karin,
    Have you noticed that consolations get further and further apart over the years? I still like the frosting I have to admit but the cake part is tasting better and better every day. Great post!

    The meditation from Fr. Muller is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see Father Muller's comments. Sometimes I am only able to make acts of the will because I feel nothing. The frosting does get farther and farther apart, but that's OK. If Mother Teresa could stay with Jesus through years of total darkness and dryness and continue to do the great work she did, why should I complain? Deo Gratias for anything He gives me.

    ReplyDelete