Friday, November 4, 2011

Why the Catholic Church Prays for the Dead

When I was growing up the good nuns in school taught us to always remember the Poor Souls in purgatory in our prayers. Years later I appreciate that advice more than ever. Just think - if a prayer, alms, or sacrifice we offer provides a soul entrance into heaven, who will remember us the most when we need help ourselves? I decided I needed to collect as many friends in heaven as I could so I would be sure to have plenty of help getting there myself.

The doctrine of purgatory is ancient in terms of earth time. Because there are non-Catholics in my family who dispute the doctrine, I wrote an article that I hoped would help explain better where our doctrine of purgatory originates and how it is referenced in the Bible. In the process I learned a lot myself. If you'd like to read more, check out

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Michael. If we Catholics understood purgatory better it would help us explain it to our non-Catholic brethren. I wrote the post originally to help myself explain purgatory to the "sola scriptura" folks, but I don't think I got very far.

    ReplyDelete