Thursday, November 10, 2011

Easy Chaplet for the Poor Souls


OK, it's November and I keep having thoughts about the Holy Souls in purgatory and how much they need us. I picked up this chaplet from Father Mark Kirby's blog, Vultus Christi, a couple of years ago and posted about it at my blog with some commentary. I thought many readers of this blog would like to have it, too.

The more I study and contemplate the Poor Souls, the more I want to do for them. Reading St. Catherine of Genoa's work on purgatory has given me the desire to grow in charity through remembering them in my prayers. So here is the easy chaplet for the Poor Souls you can say anytime you want:

On the large beads:

V. Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Thy Beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, the lamb without blemish or spot (1 Ps 1:19)

R. For the refreshment and deliverance of the souls in Purgatory

(One can add here, especially those of my family, or of my ancestry, or of priests. The Holy Spirit sometimes moves one to pray for particular groups of Holy Souls.)

Ten times on the small beads:

V. By Thy Precious Blood, O Jesus –

R. Purify and deliver their souls.

After having said five decades, one concludes with:

V. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.

R. And let perpetual light shine upon them.

V. May they rest in peace.

R. Amen.

If you have the opportunity to pass this on in your parishes or families, I'm sure the Holy Souls in purgatory will be very happy.

4 comments: