Monday, February 3, 2014

A Beautiful Prayer

Grant me, O Lord my God, a mind to know you, a heart to seek you, wisdom to find you, conduct pleasing to you, faithful perseverance in waiting for you, and a hope of finally embracing you. - Saint Thomas Aquinas

I read this prayer for the first time the other day. I loved it immediately. It touched my heart.
I am not normally big on rote prayers. I prefer meditation, listening, silent prayer, lectio divina. Rote prayers, no matter how beautiful the words, can sometimes be boring to me. However, sometimes a prayer comes along that grabs my heart. Maybe for a moment. Maybe for a day. Maybe for years.
And when a prayer grabs my heart, I know that God wants me to hear this prayer. God wants me to pray this prayer.
And so I do. Gladly. Joyfully. I pray.
I pray to give back these words to the One who gave them to me.

3 comments:

  1. This prayer is beautiful, Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I agree. It says so much in so few words. God bless!

    Michael, you are welcome! I am glad you like it! God bless you too!

    ReplyDelete