Monday, March 18, 2013

Joy Returns

Habemus Papam!

Those words are now imprinted on my mind and heart forever. When I heard them spoken to announce the election of Pope Francis, I got tears in my eyes. I was a mess and yet, at the same time, I was filled with joy!

We have a pope!

As I watched the news and video clips throughout the conclave. I thought how awesome it is, that the Church just keeps doing what it does. Though our hearts are breaking with the empty chair left by Pope Benedict, we just keep on keeping on. Just like we have been doing for 2000 years.

After all, this is Jesus' Church. We need not be afraid. He is with us always. He will not leave us orphans.

And as soon as we saw our new pope, we already loved him. Isn't that amazing? Right away, we saw him and we were filled with joy!

Perhaps the Holy Spirit gives us these gifts of tears and joy so we know, we are sure, that this is the Pope, the successor to Peter, chosen by Christ for His church.

Our 266th pope. Our shepherd, the Servant of the Servants of God. Il Papa.

Habemus Papam!

8 comments:

  1. Amen Colleen! God does not leave us orphans. Habemus Papam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did feel like a gift - to have my day not so busy and not be preoccupied with anything so as to take in all the days events. Same thing happened for me on the day of Benedict XVI's election. The gift of being able to watch and take it in. I believe in the Holy Spirit and his work. I believe this is a prayerful man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your are so right. Our Church goes on and God is with us always. Our Pope Frances is truly a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, a gift indeed!

    Amy, God is good!

    Victor, absolutely! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen, I was so excited I could not take my eyes off the TV.
    God bless Pope Francis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, me too! I still am excited.
    Have a blessed Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete