Sunday, February 24, 2013

Anything Can Happen


This Sunday's gospel reading was about the Transfiguration. Peter and John and James went with Jesus to the mountain. They saw this transfiguration and yet, they still did not seem to know who Jesus was. Or they did not want to know.

Ever live in denial of what is right in front of your face?

And they kept quiet too. They told no one. Can you imagine if we saw Jesus in all his glory? Would we keep quiet? It is an interesting question for us to ask ourselves.

And would we recognize Jesus if we saw Him? Do we really know Him?

I was listening to a talk by Jeff Cavins and he said that the disciples lived and ate and walked with Jesus and yet they did not know who he was. And his thought was, no wonder we need a pope. No wonder we need a Peter who will listen to the Holy Spirit and tell us who Jesus is.

It is good that we are here, Peter said. Yes, Peter. It is good that we are here. The Holy Spirit is alive and active in our Church. He is surely alive and active in the person who sits in the Chair of St. Peter. If we ever doubted before today, we should not doubt now.

Nothing is impossible with God. He is still full of surprises. He is still showing us that anything can happen on any given day.

We should probably pay attention. Stay awake. Listen.

We do not know the hour.

7 comments:

  1. Good message Colleen, but I really love your perspective on Peter. He is the one, despite his flaws, that continually saw things others did not. And oh how we need someone to do that for us today!

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really cannot stop thinking about Peter. Must have to do with this week being the last week Pope Benedict is pope. And Friday being the Feast Day of Chair of St. Peter. Trying to make sense of it all.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful piece....I just learned abt your group blog when your co author, Noreen dropped by my blog to leave me lovely comment....I just think this is wonderful...I am now following you and I know I will benefit from your wisdom and your tips...
    Thank you.
    Have a great night,
    Chris C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, thank you for joining us! I am glad you here. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this to us Colleen. Wonderful insight. No matter who the next pope is, I hope he will be able to lead the church and the people to a good path, help strengthen unity, and also inspire and encourage people to know more about God. Thank you for this and may God bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Erin. I hope the same thing. I will miss Pope Benedict's words about Jesus and our need for a personal encounter with him. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wise words, Colleen! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete