Monday, December 31, 2012

Searching for God

When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart - Jeremiah 29:13
A lot of people ask Where is God? Especially in times of tragedy.
I do not ask. I search.
In the tragedy at Sandy Hook, I searched for God. And I saw Him everywhere.
I saw God in the teacher who was killed protecting her students.
I saw God in the outpouring of love and support given to the victims and the grief-stricken.
I saw God in the people crowding into the towns' churches. I saw God in the priest's consoling words.
Where is God? He is right here.
He is in the middle of our lives. He is in the middle of our joy. He is in the middle of our pain.
Especially in our pain.

Truly, it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us. - Meister Eckhart
Search for the light. See the light. Bring that light to others.
Emmanuel. God-with-us.

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Colleen. My 9-year-old is still upset by the shootings but she was very touched by the teacher who gave her life for her kids - a shining light in the midst of a terrible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Colleen! It's easy to see God when life is going great but we tend not to look with our hearts when things go wrong. Have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, thank you. I can only imagine what children must feel at times of tragedy like this. Like you said, that teacher was a shining light and your daughter will probably always remember her.

    Noreen, thank you! I have found in my own life that I find God very easily in the dark times. Perhaps because I so desperately need to find him. Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful perspective!

    God Bless you and a happy and Holy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Michael! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only a person of deep abiding Faith could write such a moving tribute to our ever-present Lord. Thank you for sharing these consoling truths.

    Mike

    http://harvestingthefruitsofcontemplation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because you seek Him, You find Him everywhere, Colleen. That's the way it should be because that is His Way. Praise not only allows us to see God, it brings His power into every situation to bring good out of evil. PTL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael, thank you! God bless!

    Joann, thank you. Praise the Lord indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post, Colleen, and the heart behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really, this post is awesome. At the time of despair, people often thing that god is not there to help them out, when in fact God is everywhere. He has given us whatever we have wished for ourselves.

    Regards,
    Brano
    Catholic Family Bible

    ReplyDelete