Monday, November 5, 2012

Home in God

I have not been myself since my husband was seriously ill this past summer. He is doing very well now, but I have been feeling a little out of sorts. My prayer life is in disarray. It is as if I have lost my balance.

Recently, during my prayer time, I found myself remembering the three weeks I spent with my grandparents many years ago. I was sick with mono. It was winter in New England and my doctor hoped that I would heal in the warm Florida sun.

I remember being amused to discover that my grandparents had a set routine every day. They ate at the same time. They took walks at the same time. They even napped at the same time.

I was only 21 years old and I remember thinking it would be boring to live like that. But within a few days, without even realizing it, I found myself happily following their routine, with only a few changes to fit my own needs.

And in that routine, in the stability and peace of my grandparents' loving home, I found comfort and warmth and healing. And a new sense of what it means to be home.

Today I am reminded of the lesson of those days. As I try to regain my equilibrium, I find comfort and balance in my ordinary routine.

As I held onto God during the crisis of my husband's illness, I now hold onto God in the everyday moments of my life.

I do not need to go in search of peace or healing. God is present in my here and now. God is present in my ordinary everyday life.

And in God, I find my home.




3 comments:

  1. Yes...I too feel unbalanced at times and you speak truth in your words when you say.... God is present in my here and now. He is present in my ordinary everyday life. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reflection, Colleen!

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete