Monday, May 14, 2012

We Are Never Alone

"A faithful friend is a source of strength; whoever finds one has found a treasure." - Sirach 6:14
Sometimes we feel alone. Abandoned. Maybe even rejected. But God is always with us. Sometimes we just need a reminder.

I remember one time when I felt rejected and abandoned by some friends of mine. I felt so lost that all I could pray was "Help me, Lord."

I immediately thought of my girlfriend, Bonnie. I have known her for over 50 years. We grew up together and we are still close, even though we live over 1000 miles apart. So I wrote her a letter. And I thanked God for reminding me that I was really blessed with such a faithful friend.

But that whole week went by with me still feeling hurt. One day I went into the chapel to pray. "Please, Jesus," I cried. "Help me to forgive and let go."

I suddenly became aware of how rejected and abandoned Jesus had felt on the cross. Judas had betrayed him. Peter had denied him. His apostles had all run away. Jesus had even felt abandoned by his Father.

Jesus was telling me he knew exactly how I felt. I was overcome with gratitude. The hurt just melted away. I was not carrying my burden alone. I had never been carrying my burdens alone.

And in case that message wasn't enough, I went home and was surprised to find a letter from Bonnie in the mailbox. It was dated the same day I had written my letter to her! Bonnie wrote that she had just been thinking of me and had a strong urge to write to me to see if I was ok.

God promises to be with us always, but sometimes we forget. Sometimes we need God to remind us that we never need to search far for a friend.

5 comments:

  1. Good post.

    Forgiveness can be so difficult at times ... yet, we're never alone.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Colleen, for this beautiful post. Jesus understands all we suffer. And, thank you Lord for good friends!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Madeleines - thank you!

    Mary, Amen! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete