Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ten Ways To Pray without Ceasing

After a long spell of prayer, do not say that nothing has been gained, for you have already achieved something. For, after all, what higher good is there than to cling to the Lord and to persevere in unceasing union with Him? (St. John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent)

Pray without ceasing. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
To pray without ceasing seems almost impossible to do. However, there are ways to pray sporadically throughout the day and come close to praying without ceasing.
The problem is remembering. Our daily schedules can be so difficult and crazy that we cannot find the time, much less remember.
It should be easy for me. I work at a church office, for heaven’s sake. I think of God and God-related matters all day. However, doing office work does not always constitute thinking of God.
For example, when I am working on such things as the bulletin, my mind is thinking of type fonts and graphic images and downloads, etc. 
Of course, I try to offer it up – all of my work. But that is not the same as praying unceasingly.
So I have come up with some ideas on how to pray unceasingly – or as often as possible. (This is not a complete list nor is it in any kind of order. Also, a period of silent prayer is important sometime during the day.)
read more...

5 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    I'm glad you posted this on the Community blog too. It's a great article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ideas! Thank you:)
    The image you chose reminds me of the cover of my book!
    I always do the "bookmark" idea and I am going to love posting the little note on the mirror...thanks!
    Another blogger wrote that she rings her own doorbell three times a day to call her family to prayer...loved that.
    This is a great post Colleen:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post. You've given me some great ideas on how to follow St. Paul's advice.

    I'm setting my phone's alarm right now!

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great ideas

    also- google 'Jesus Prayer' you might like that too

    ReplyDelete