Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's About Time

Every moment comes to us pregnant with a command from God, only to pass on and plunge into eternity, there to remain forever what we have made of it.  - St. Francis de Sales


Time. We do not seem to have enough of it. And we often forget that it is a gift. We have no idea that it is passing us by until one day we wake up and say, where did the time go?

I was recently preparing to go on a private retreat. I knew I needed this retreat. I had felt called to go for a long time but kept putting it off. I was so busy and often found myself putting prayer time at the bottom of my list of things to do.

Then two days before my retreat, my watch stopped working. I didn't think much about it. It was an old watch. It had not worked right since the last time I replaced the battery. 

So I went hunting through my stuff to find another watch. I found two of them. Neither one of them worked.
Sometimes God lets us know what He wants from us in no uncertain terms.
I went on my retreat without a watch. I am learning to live without one. And I am learning to prioritize my time better.
Every time I look at my empty wrist, I am reminded to keep God at the top of my list.
1st published in Prayer Morsels ezine Oct. 2011

10 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    Thank you, this is a "timely" reminder for us to stop, drop, and lift our hands in prayer. It's odd how there never seems to be enough time these days. I always hear people say they are too busy to pray. Funny how all our technology today has never helped us save time, isn't it? If anything, it has made us rush more than ever. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daily Grace, thank you!

    Mary, I know!! I have discovered that! Technology just gives us more to do! But we still find time to watch tv, read a book, go to the movies, go out to eat. Why do we not find time to pray? I am learning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colleen, it's amazing how time conscious our society is. We either have watches or check our cell phones for the current time. Which it then takes our focus off of more important matters such as prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post. We have a lot more control over our time that we often want to admit. It's a matter of priorities. It's not so much *what* we should be doing, but the *Who* we should be doing it with.

    Like you, I have a bunch of broken watches around and now no longer even wear one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, glad you liked it! :)

    Noreen, I didn't know how much I was doing that until I couldn't!

    Barb, I love that - it is not so much "what" but "Who." Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved the quote from St Francis de Sales. Good post. Good reminder.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael, thank you! I had not read this quote before but I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete