Monday, August 8, 2011

Run to the Lord

Run.
That seems to be the word of the week.
Ever have a word that repeats itself over and over in your head? You wonder what it all means and then when you finally give up wondering, the meaning becomes obvious.
I have been reading the Rule of St. Benedict daily and in one of my favorite books about Benedictine spirituality  (Living with Contradiction, by Esther deWaal), she writes that the Rule mentions “run” quite frequently. “St. Benedict tells me to run to Christ.”
Another favorite book is Story of a Soul, by St. Therese of Lisieux. At the end of the book, St. Therese writes about running to the Lord. “Draw me and we shall run …” (Song of Songs 1:4).
She goes on to say “What is it then to ask to be “Drawn” if not to be united in an intimate way to the object which captivates our heart?“
Jesus is the object that captivates my heart. Is he asking me to run to him?
I suddenly remember that Padre Pio said something about running too. There was a famous quote that I don’t remember so I go to look it up.
Run to the feet of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.
Oh, my. Lately I have been thinking that I am not making enough visits to the Blessed Sacrament. I go to my hour of Adoration bi-weekly and I make visits when I go to Mass. But I do not go often during the week when I am at work at my parish office that is right across the parking lot from the church! I get so busy at work, but is that an excuse?
Run to the feet of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.
OK Lord. I hear you. Thank you.

10 comments:

  1. I do a lot of running but rarely do I stop to focus on the word "run" and use it in such a beautiful context as you have. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a funny story that I wrote about where I actually did run to Jesus. The incident made me think how intense my convictions really are. I was willing to make a fool of myself and run. I am grateful for that moment, but I still think I could do some more running to Eucharistic adoration as well!

    http://theclayrosarygirl.blogspot.com/2011/03/let-little-children-come-to-me-run-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Colleen. I met you through a comment you made at the Healthy Spirituality blog, which I just started following.

    This is such a great post. I am passionate about Eucharistic Adoration. I live close to a church which does perpetual adoration and I go as often as I can.

    In fact, a couple of years ago I went through a painful trial in my marriage and I would go everyday for up to two hours and sit at the feet of Jesus.

    There isn't anyone in the world who will take away my absolute faith in the Eucharist! Jesus ministered to me, counselled me, healed me and I was able to forgive my husband and build our marriage. Its better now than it ever was in all of our 21 years together. Praise God!!

    I highly recommend 'running to the feet of Jesus'! He is the best spiritual director there ever will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, thank you! I think that the word 'run' kept going through my head so much I just could not ignore it!
    :)

    Sarah, I look forward to reading your post! I love that you actually ran!

    Lisa Maria, nice to meet you! Thanks for your lovely comment and witness. My own devotion to the Eucharist has brought me through many trials as well. In fact, during the sexual abuse scandals back in 2002, I realized then that it was the Eucharist that brought me to the Catholic Church and it is the Eucharist that will keep me here, no matter what else may be trying to pull me away. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen,
    When I think about how long I spent running away from Jesus, I would like to spend the rest of my days following St Therese's advice from the Song of Songs and run to Him and with Him.
    Thanks and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen, this is a wonderful post and now that you mention it, I've heard that phrase often "run to Jesus." While reading this post I thought of Sarah's post about running to Jesus! Then I read her comment... I love how this blog brings us all together to worship Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me wonder how often do I run to Jesus. I always love the scene in the prodigal son story where the father ran to the son. MMMM, maybe I need to quit letting God do all the running and move, not run closer.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karinann, me too! Thank you!

    Noreen, I agree. We are a community for sure. All loving Jesus and sharing our love.

    Jean, I love that! God chasing us makes me think of that poem about the Hound of Heaven! God chasing us through our lives. I love that scene too of the Prodigal Son. Such a story of God's mercy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the thought of running to Jesus! I just wish I could run faster :) I miss not being able to go to adoration much during the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this running to Jesus image. Like Karinann I spent many years running away from Jesus, only to discover that He is the answer to everything. Now I want to run to Him constantly. Thanks to His grace, we can do this simply by the habit of looking for Him in all our daily duties and offering Him fleeting prayers. He is never far away so we don't have far to go to find Him if only we look.

    ReplyDelete