Tuesday, July 12, 2011

God Changes Hearts

"...some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit, a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold. Whoever has ears ought to hear." - Matthew 13:8-9
God’s love is infinite and abundant. He does not hold back his gifts and his love.
But we do.
The soil of my heart had some pretty rocky ground when I first started attending a Catholic church with my husband. I really did not want to be there but yet I did. I thought it would be good if we all went as a family. I wanted to be there for my husband and my sons.
But I did not enjoy it nor did I intend to enjoy it. I just went. I sat. Like a rock.
Still ...  I did it out of love for my family. And maybe that love in my heart started to grow some roots and rich soil as I attended Mass there week after week, listening to the Word. And watching the consecration that had caught my attention.
One day, everything changed. I had been listening to the Word of God for months. The seeds must have taken root. In the middle of Mass, the thought came to me. It was time to make a commitment.
One year later, I became a Catholic.
God is generous. God is patient. God is love.
And God changed the soil of my heart from rocky to rich.
Thank you Lord, for your generous and loving heart. Thank you for bringing me closer to you. Please work through me to bring others closer to you. Change our rocky hearts into hearts that bear fruit. – Amen.
1st published 7/10/2011 on my Thoughts on Grace blog

5 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    I loved the imagery you used in this post! It read like a poem and you know how much I love poetry and conversion stories! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, thank you! So glad you liked it. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God is generous. God is patient. God is love." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, that it a beautiful testimony of how you became Catholic! Isn't it amazing how a certain word or act the priest does all of a sudden "clicks" and a new revelation is experienced. God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen, your post, conversion testimony gives me hope and motivation to continue praying for more and more happy, grace-filled conversions like yours. I've only known one person who was a revert before and after, and to witness it brought me such great joy and love. I want more of this type of rejoicing!

    ReplyDelete